On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at O’Farrell Charter School, D.E.T.O.U.R. Empowers brought over 205 young women between ages 11 and 19, 33 parents, 20 volunteers, 20 vendors, and 9 facilitators together for the 6th Annual F.A.N.C.Y. Teen Girls Expo. Through a series of workshops, activities and a resource fair including activities to promote and engage interest in the STEAM fields, these young women were equipped with information and experiences to help them tackle many of the issues and challenges they are facing every day.
Here are just a few highlights of the day:
- The day kicked off with a Zumba Class, taught by Reina Gray.
- Next, the 2016 F.A.N.C.Y. Awards presentation included three $500 scholarship winners who were all accepted into 4 year universities.
- The girls were treated to SnapChat Makeovers, by students of Bellus Academy, to help promote confidence through self-care.
- Throughout the day, girls were able to participate in various workshops ranging from college & career prep, public speaking, and the risks of human trafficking.
- There were also 2 workshops for parents. The first helping them to get a different perspective on communication led by Project Ujima. The second, a panel to engage parents in a discussion about Human Trafficking from CSA San Diego.
- The afternoon was filled with a mix of entertainment and information with keynote speaker, Kristen Parugiong, a fashion show from Twyla “Twynot” Green, and a dance performance by The Origin & JR SKULLIES.
- The day ended with lunch and a resource fair including local community based organizations and businesses. In addition, the Urban League hosted STEAM Fair which included organizations from the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics backgrounds.
This was truly a day full of inspiration, motivation, and encouragement. F.A.N.C.Y. Teen Girls Expo relies on the participation of various vendors, sponsors, and donors, for its continued success. If you are interested in participating in next year’s event, or want to make sure you are up to date on all things F.A.N.C.Y. be sure to sign up for the newsletter and follow us on all of our social media accounts.
Until next year,